Collection of Personal Information
What type of personal information do we collect?
We collect certain (limited) personal information about visitors and users of KOKO. The most common types of information we collect are things like user names, member names, email addresses, other contact details, some transactional details, support queries, forum comments, and web analytics data. Information or an opinion (e.g. in a comment) is your “personal information” if it is about you as an identified or identifiable individual.
How we collect personal information?
Personal information we collect about you from others
Although we generally collect personal information directly from you, we may on occasion also collect information about you from other people (such as throug social media platform which we use as submission pathways) and by using tracking technologies such as cookies, web beacons and other web analytics software or services.
How do we use personal information?
We may use your personal information for us to:
– operate KOKO and provide you with our services, like to verify your identity when you submit a contribution, to facilitate and process purchase transactions, to respond to communication etc.;
– customise our services and pages, e.g. any advertising that may appear on site, in order to provide a more personalised experience;
– update you with operational news and information about KOKO and its services like to notify you about changes to the site, website disruptions or security updates;
– provide you with information that you request from us or, where we have your consent to do so, provide you with marketing information relating to KOKO which we feel may interest you;
– carry out technical analysis to determine how to improve KOKO and the services we provide;
– analyse activity on KOKO to generate impact statistics, citation records and similar academic performance data;
– manage our relationship with you, like by responding to your comments or queries submitted to us directly or through one of the discussions or asking for your feedback or whether you want to participate in a survey;
– manage our legal and operational affairs;
– provide general administrative and performance functions and activities.
When may we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose personal information to people like:
– employees of Shared Campus partners contribution to KOKO’s operation;
– service providers who assist us with the ways we may use personal information (e.g. online web analytics services and others as set out above);
– our professional advisers (lawyers, accountants, financial advisers etc.);
– regulators and government authorities in connection with our compliance procedures and obligations;
– other people where we are authorised or required by law to do so.
We use a network of global subcontractors and service providers to ensure that we maintain the best possible service standards. Some of the subcontractors and service providers to whom we may disclose your personal information, like service providers who provide us with web analytics, are based outside Switzerland (in places like Asia, Europe, and the US). In order to protect your information, we take care where possible to work with subcontractors and service providers who we believe maintain an acceptable standard of data security compliance.
How do we store your personal information?
We store personal information on secure servers that are managed by the Information Technology Centre of Zurich University of the Arts (Switzerland), and occasionally hard copy files that are kept in a secure location. Personal information that we store is subject to security and access controls, including username and password authentication and data encryption where appropriate.
How can you access your personal information?
You can access some of the information that we collect about you by logging in to your account. You also have the right to make a request to access other information we hold about you and to request corrections of any errors in that information. You may also close the account you have with us at any time, at which time all your information will be deleted. To make an access or correction request, please contact us through the contact details at the end of this policy.
Choices regarding control of your personal information
Where we have your consent to do so (e.g if you have subscribed to one of our e-mail lists or have otherwise indicated that you are interested in receiving information from us), we may send you communication about products and services that we feel may be of interest to you. You can ‘opt-out’ of such communication if you would prefer not to receive them in the future. If your e-mail address has changed and you would like to continue to receive our e-mails, you will need to access your account and update your e-mail address information in your account and sign-up again for those e-mails that you want to receive. If we send e-mails with commercial content we will generally include an “unsubscribe” facility that you can use to opt-out of further communications – to opt-out, just follow the instructions in the e-mail. We may not include an opt-out facility in important operational and service-based e-mails concerning things like the Term of Use, important updates and need-to-know messages. By using KOKO you agree that we do not need to include opt-out facilities in those messages.
Cookies and Web Analytics
Cookies are used to enhance your use of KOKO, such as remembering that you are logged in. You are able to minimise or block cookies using the privacy settings in your internet browser, but this may restrict your use of our site. For general information on cookies, see All About Cookies.org. You also have choices about cookies: By modifying your browser preferences, you have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. If you choose to reject cookies some parts of KOKO may not work properly in your case.
When you visit KOKO, certain generally anonymous information (“web analytics information”) is automatically recorded. We only use this information for statistical and website development purposes and to improve our services. If you’re logged into your account while you browse KOKO some of this usually anonymous information could be associated with your account, e.g.
– your IP or proxy server IP;
– basic domain information;
– your internet service provider is sometimes captured depending on the configuration of your ISP connection;
– the date and time of your visit to the website;
– the length of your session;
– the particular pages that you have accessed;
– the number of times you accessed our site within any month;
– the size of file you’ve looked at;
– the website which referred you to KOKO; and
– the operating system that your computer uses.
Information you make public or give to others
When we need to update this policy
We may need to change this policy from time to time in order to make sure it stays up to date with the latest legal requirements and any changes to our privacy management practices. When we do amend the policy, the changes will be effective straightaway. We’ll usually publish information about changes to be made to this policy on the KOKO website – but please be aware that it is your responsibility to check in and make sure you keep up to date with any changes to this policy.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, please contact us through our Contact page or directly through email@example.com. If you have any concerns about our handling of personal information, or if you think we have not been complying with Swiss privacy law, you can make a complaint in writing to Zurich University of the Arts. We will consider your complaint and contact you to resolve the matter. For more information about privacy issues in Switzerland and protecting your privacy, please visit the website of the Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner.